Sunday, July 22, 2007

A picture of one night life on Nias

Last night I came home late (or early?) o1.o1 wet expected as I rod my botorbike under the rain.

It was a farewell party of 2 german friends who ended their contract on Nias.

At first I decided not to be at the party but rather had a real talk before they leave for good. That's the reasons why i was there at 4 pm (and the party would start on at 21. hrs or so). Here are some stories i would like to share with you here. Just to give you a piece of a picture about life on Nias nowadays....

I had 4 hrs uninterrupted story of this friend of mine's depression, frustration, but also pride for the whole struggle he had been through. Started from the corruption case of Muzöi which really a big mess that he had to fire many of so-called good friends of his (only now I heard the complete story) to his frustration in dealing with ADB in their project in Nisel, to his frustration with UNHCR, the Bupati and the Military…, some classic stories about the UN agencies and their structures and (the behaviors) of their staff, but also his frustration with the internal structure of his organization (for ethical reason I won't put the name of his organization). Also his struggle he had with his predeccesor... (but it was good to hear that they are now in a very good relationship, good friendship). It would be sad for me because i know them both well..

And he started smoking whit, marijuana …. He offered me of course, and well, thanks god/dess, i am very good in mastering my will. I have quit from smoking any smoking (cigarrete, cigar, cigarrillos, or this m... which I only had once in Aceh).


But in the end I agreed to stay for some times for the party.
And then the party started at 21.30 or so. It was where:
- expats could release all their stress over the work through drinking, smoking, dancing, non-sense talks
- the tensions between bules and local staff is loosened a bit as they shared the floor and sometimes drinks from the same bottles, no more boss and staff...
- You can release your stress by flirting with either other expats or local staff and probably have some long night or probably even longer relationship (like some mixed-couples who were there at the party)
- immediately you realized, a big change has taken place on this island: you see these young women, some of them are Niasan, enjoying themselves on the floor: dancing while smoking and drinking at the same time, yelling.... I have mixed feelings here over these women… I know it was a taste of freedom they had never imagined before, it was a good experience for them, but at the same time it was not a good way of learning about what freedom is. But none to blem of course. I hope they know what they are doing, and not just imitating these foreigners…

At first I planned to leave soon the party started, but instead I stayed until mid-night. L.. kept asking me to stay little longer whener he sawwanted to give a farewel hug. And he asked me to dance with him with his two sticks under his armpits…(he got accident on his right toe that he needs these two sticks to helm him moving)

Then I know he was already hanging over a bit… he had the whit, and some rums, and I don’t know how many bottles of big bintang. He started talking like a drunk man would: asking my affirmation as whether he deserve to be proud with his work in Hiligawoni or not.

I managed to have two bintangs only, and had some sips from his bottle whenever he asked me to take another bottle in company for him.

I left mid night before I really got drunk (because I had to drive motorbike under the rain…)

The party continued till morning when (usually people started to vommit due to too much drinking).

Just a piece of picture... But promised, i will give more pictures whenever I can. this will also help me to have a rather comprehensive picture of what Nias becoming today and in the future.... But it also give me another picture of NGOs and people...

No comments: